Jane Dismore is a freelance writer and biographer who enjoyed several lives before turning to writing on a full-time basis. Her literary agent is Andrew Lownie.
DUCHESSES: Living in 21st Century Britain (published on 4th September 2014 by Blink Books, an imprint of Bonnier Publishing)
When Kate Middleton was made a royal duchess in 2011, she made the old title topical, even desirable, again. Just below the royal duchesses on the aristocratic tree sits another tiny group of women with their dukes: the non-royal duchesses. They are just as much a part of Britain’s heritage, the dukedoms having been awarded by monarchs since the 16th century, but they are a dying breed.
Ten of these duchesses form the basis of this book. Not only is it the first time they have been featured together but in many cases it is the first time they have talked publicly about themselves and their role. Each also selects a favourite duchess from the past, providing a fascinating gallery through the centuries and a comparison with today – for what does it mean to be a duchess in the 21st century when privilege is not a popular concept?
THE VOICE FROM THE GARDEN: Pamela Hambro and the Tale of Two Families Before and After the Great War (pub. Aug 2012, SilverWood Books)
LONGLISTED 2013 FOR THE NEW ANGLE PRIZE FOR LITERATURE
This true family saga focuses on two prominent families during a turbulent time in Britain’s history: the Hambros, a major merchant banking dynasty, and the Cobbolds, a long established British brewing family from Suffolk, who are united in 1919 by marriage. Their friends include the mighty Morgan banking family of the USA, and the prominent Swedish industrialists, the Wallenbergs, as well as members of the British aristocracy. At the heart of the action lies the love story of Pamela Cobbold and Charles Hambro.
PAST EVENTS (link to new page)
RECENT FEATURES (for older features, please see Links page and Archives):
- The Cambridge Psychics published by Dr Ann Kennedy Smith online, January 2017
- Legacy of Good Duchess Anne published in History Today magazine October 2016
- The Cambridges in Canada: Following Princess Louise, its first royal lady Royal Central, 12 Sept. 2016
- The sad story of the Dukes of Westminster & the Maid of Ebury Royal Central, 11 Aug 2016
- Duchess who caught a collecting bug pub. in The Northumbrian mag. Aug/Sept 2016
- Pocahontas in England published in History Today magazine June 2016
- Pocahontas 400 published in Kent Life magazine June 2016
- When America married Norfolk published in Eastern Daily Press, Weekend, May 2016
- Stover and the Duke of Somerset published in South West Life Magazine December 2015
- Duchesses on Duty published in BRITAIN magazine, Sept/Oct 2015 issue
- ‘Wolf Hall‘ feature: interviewing the Duke of Somerset, John Seymour in Wiltshire Life Magazine, April 2015
- The Duchess Diaries published in Social & Personal Magazine, December 2014
- Are Duchesses an Endangered Species? published in The Lady magazine, 26th September 2014